Monday 21 July 2014

Paper Royalists

Having photoshopped and printed off five A4 pages of figures yesterday, I put together the Royalist infantry and cavalry this evening. The artillery I will do another day; the basing is fiddly, so I'm going to do the three elements I'm making for both sides at the same time.

And here it is:


That's fourteen elements of infantry and four elements of cavalry, plus a general (in Liberated Hordes generals can attach to any element, so are just represented by a marker).

Here's a closeup of the cavalry. Something went wrong with the scaling, and it's fractionally too small compared to the infantry. It doesn't look too out of scale though.


The infantry.


The infantry in closeup.


The massed effect looks good, and I will complete the Patriot army, plus the other bits I have printed off, and try them all out in a game or two. But the truth is that I'm not sure they are quite looking the way I hoped they would. There's too much white surround in relation to the figures, and at present I'm finding it distracting. Further down the line I may consider printing the whole lot off again, but in 15mm, giving eight infantry and four cavalry to a base, but with larger figures and a lower percentage of 'white space'. Obviously I'd lose some of the massed effect I was after, but they should look reasonable good.

(Yes, I have considered 15mm figures on a 60mm frontage, but I want to be able to play games on a 2' x 2' HOTT board.)

5 comments:

  1. I've occasionally looked at these and wondered about them. They don't too bad at all do they?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are nice, and the smaller figures give a good mass-effect. But I'm tempted by the visibility of fewer but larger figures.

      If I decide to abandon these it's not a huge loss in terms of investment. I could generate and print a set of 15mm armies in an afternoon, and have them based and ready to go over a few evenings.

      Delete
  2. I've built two ECW-in-Scotland armies in "28mm" using the paper figures here - http://billybonesworkshop.co.uk/3.html - looks pretty good en masse. Rather like a 3D version of a monochrome illustration in a Victorian book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those are very nice; I like the fact that the mass effect is built into each 'figure'.

      Delete
  3. Yes very impressive -'Bricks without straw' indeed - 'improvise, adapt and overcome!'

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...